AW: [sw-l] GIFs posted for IMWA Group 01-07 Ring Finger

Fri Jul 23 13:35:39 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
July 23, 2004

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> - yes - thank you I went to the download -
> Perhaps I have to do some fingers-work-out program but most of these
> handshapes are very difficult to perform without the assistance of the
> other
> hand!(smile)

Ha! Yes. I agree. I cannot personally do these handshapes either. Group
01-07 was always a small group before, because in our western signed
languages, most of these handshapes do not exist. But Wayne Smith has
worked in Taiwan, with Taiwanese Sign Language, and years ago Wayne
sent me some photos of his hands doing these amazing positions and
requested that I create them in a list of symbols.

Wayne - I am sorry it has taken me so long! But your hand photos really
were invaluable and I would have never realized these handshapes were
important if you had not sent me those photos years ago. I plan to
reduce the photos and place them in SignBank later, to show people what
I mean...smile...

Plus, several of the handshapes in Group 01-07 are used in Japanese
Sign Language, so they are used in signed languages in the Far East....

It truly will be the International Movement Writing Alphabet when I am
done....

I am working on Group 01-08 now...the Middle Finger...which is also
filled with unusual handshapes...

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.