IMWA: Handshape Construction and Sequencing Rules

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 2 13:35:22 UTC 2004

1) Sequence makes sense.  I'm not sure I understand,
visually, the difference between position 06 and 08.
Can you be clearer?

2) With two fingers articulating, is the standard "R"
shape 03, and the "hooked index" 04 with the "hooked
middle" 05?  They would seem to follow the "outside"
"inside" rule.  Maybe I'm not quite getting it.

Let's try again.  You can make an "R" handshape
naturally with the middle finger over the index
finger.  If you try to cross the fingers the other
way, the index finger makes a "hook" like the letter x
(outside).  You can reverse this hook and do it with
the middle finger (inside).

Is this the sequence?

Charles Butler

Charles Butler

--- Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
> SignWriting List
> June 1st, 2004
>
> IMWA Handshape Construction and Sequencing
> continued...
>
> Imagine if you have two handshapes that are very
> similar to each other.
> Perhaps one has the fingers spread, and the other
> has the fingers
> together. Which handshape comes first in the SSS?
>
> What about two handshapes that are exactly the same,
> except in one, the
> fingertips touch, and in the other, the thumb
> touches in the middle of
> the finger rather than the tips. Which handshape
> comes first and which
> comes second? Here are the rules:
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif x-mac-type=47494666;
x-unix-mode=0644; x-mac-creator=3842494D;
name=IMWA-sssrules3.gif