IMWA: Handshape Construction and Sequencing Rules

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 2 18:40:13 UTC 2004

Dear friends,

To add my two cents to the discussion.

I am confused, at least for version 1 of the IMWA.  I
do not wish to be offensive to programmers, but I'm
also looking at the practical usefulness of SW or IMWA
as an actual writing system, for everyday use.

Except for smooth video graphics, I am trying to
understand see why 8 rotations with reflections (96
per shape) won't do for all these figures.  Sign
Writing is, as Valerie has said, "approximate".  Right
now, the only handshape angle I can't show is two
hands at 45 degrees (boat), tilted up 45 degrees,
which I could show with only one extra symbol, the
"slashed shaded circle" which I posted earlier.

Valerie has come up with shading for 45 degree hands
which is possible, but cumbersome, and certainly not
easily translated for anything but flat hands and
still be readable on the size of a computer screen.

We are not showing "stopped motion camera work" in a
writing system, else it has become impossibly dense to
be useful as a writing system.  It may be useful as a
CGI but then it ceases, for me, to be linguistics and
has become an expensive toy.

I could be convinced if you could show me a meaningful
minimal pair, in the same sign language, from even
something as complicated as Balinese dance which could
not be drawn with 45 degree angles (for the hands) on
computer with appropriate arrows for movement and be
transmitted to a person who knows the dance to be
produced.

The shoulder shrugs are something else again, as
shoulders are not hands and have different
recognizable degrees of motion.

I remember working in Brazil, and even attempting to
manipulate a hand on screen was hours and hours of
work to articulate each finger to the manipulating
that the human body does all the time.

With SW (and IMWA) you have reduced those
articulations to a workable subset, not expanded them
to infinity.  We need to have an upward bound of
writing density, or the system will become unwieldy,
even to researchers.

I like SWML as a concept, as, with work, it can define
 outer limits to a "capture set" within its codes (if
that sentence makes any sense), and I guess what I'm
looking for is a "capture set" that "keeps it simple"
..

Sincerely,

Charles Butler