report form the Lisbon workshop

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Thu Jun 3 19:30:47 UTC 2004

Hello Sandy!

>> Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa wrote:
>
>>     Also, it is important to understand that SignWriting and HamNoSys
>> are
>> not alternatives for the same purpose. They are complementary, useful
>> for
>> different purposes, and to get a clear picture of such
>> complementarity is
>> also important, for the best profit of the development of sign
>> language
>> processing systems.
>
> This is interesting. I thought they wre just two different writing
> systems
> for sign languages?
>
> What is the difference?
>
> Sandy Fleming

I hope you can go to the next workshop! :-)

HamNoSys uses different symbols but like the Latin alphabet one after
another. It is good for machine processing, like for signing avatars
and machine translation applications, but, with some training, still
rather easy to read and write, but not as easy as Sutton SignWriting.

Pro: Sequential writing (and not depending on space like Sutton
SignWriting)
Contra: More difficult to understand

That's how I understood it. :-)

Daniel