Sign Proccessing Software

Louis-FĂ©lix Bergeron hf091587 at ER.UQAM.CA
Thu Jun 17 13:06:57 UTC 2004

I'm glad that we don't have that "word processor" terminology problem in
french.

We call it "text processor" (traitement de texte)... And a text is a text,
either it is written in spoken language or in sign language.

For the word definition, I think "word" is generally considered as a
structure level in linguistics. Like the structure levels in chemistry
(quark, electrons-protons-neutrons, atoms, molecules, etc.), language has
its structure levels too (phonologic features, phonemes, syllables,
morphemes, words, phrase, sentence, etc.). Even if some level names were
created for spoken language structure levels, I don't think it is really
useful to have different names for sign language structure levels, just
because some names (like phonemes, for example) could include a "sound
related" meaning. And it doesn't seem useful for me especially when we are
talking about writing.

But maybe we are rushing things... Terminology have been gradually designed
with years of reflexion, usage and convention. As it has been said in this
list, written forms for spoken language and relfexion on spoken languages
have centuries of history. Sign language research and written forms for
sign language have a history of just only very few decades... Even if we
try to have the best terminology, usage and time will make their way. And
this way may be different that what we wish it could be.

Louis-Felix