printing from SW Java question

Fri Jun 18 00:37:56 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 17, 2004

Nancy Emery in Seattle, Washington, USA wrote:
> I'm back with my question about how to print from SW Java on my Mac
> (OSX).
> You told me I would need to capture the screen using Photoshop or
> another
> paint program, and at the time I didn't have such a program so I had
> to wait
> to get one.

Hello Everyone, and Nancy!
Thanks for this message. Actually, I can see you misunderstood me last
time...I am so sorry if I didn't explain it properly. Screen captures
have nothing to do with Photoshop. You can take a picture of your
screen anytime...whether you are on a Macintosh or on Windows. Each
operating system has their different keystroke-combinations that make
it possible to do screen captures (a picture of your screen).

For example, on Mac OS X:

Command-Shift-3......captures the entire screen
Command-Shift-4......gives you a cross-hair symbol, so you can then
highlight just the area of the screen that you want to capture...

And on Windows, you have a key that is called PrintScreen I
believe...is that right, Windows people? smile....

So, anyway, Nancy...did you know that the Command Key on the Mac OS X
usually has an Apple symbol on it...so some people call it the Apple
Key...so Command and Apple are really the same key, depending on your
keyboard...so it could be:

Apple-Shift-3
Apple-Shift-4

but either way, it is the same key!

You can find a whole listing of all of the key-combinations that give
you hundreds of quick ways to do things, under the Mac Help menu...

Now, once you have created your screen capture, then it is true that
you need to open that graphics file inside a graphics program, like
Photoshop...