[SignWriting] Flying Bird

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Sat Jun 19 18:00:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

> It was used by a mother of two young deaf children, so possibly a children's
> thing? She's an avid collector of signs she can use with her children, and
> has taught me signs for "Pooh", "Tigger", "Harry Potter", and many other
> things that just don't seem to exist in my world, or in BSL dictionaries!

Tell all. ;-) The BSL dictionary isn't that good; incomplete both in BSL
and english glosses.

> The "flying bird" thing did look odd when I saw it, but I can't think of a
> better way to show a bird in flight in BSL. How would you do it?

I've usually used B* hands [1] with ovelapped thumbs; rather like ANGEL.
For a large bird, such as EAGLE, then I've separated the hands as a size
and shape specifier. For small bird, such as Trogoldytes Trogoldytes, then
I'd use shoulders and cheeks as NMFs to carry the SASS. That way one can
include the bird's "jizz" in the sign.

If I were to use a similar sign then it would be based on an H-hand [1] so
there's a SASS component there too.

[1] Oh how I hate writing BSL signs using ASL handshape names. For a BSL
Level 3 courework essay recently I really tore Stokoe notation apart. :-)
(In the same essay also had a go at the BSL dictionary.) Now I'm on
"summer break" must look at Antonio's SW-Edit under Linux.

> Even so, it needs to be written!

Definitely.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!