introducing myself to sw-l

Manfred Sailer ManfredSailer at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 21 20:27:59 UTC 2004

Dear SWList members,

Valery suggested that I should make use of the fact that I am having problems
receiving messages from the list to try whether I can post  to the list ---
and to introduce myself to all of you.

My name is Manfred Sailer. I am a 35 year old hearing linguist at the
university of Tuebingen, Southern Germany (formal syntax and semantics, computational
linguistics). I started learning German Sign Language (DGS) in October 2002 -
just for fun and because I thought it would be good for a linguist to know a
sign language. After looking around for writing systems for DGS a while, I
decided that it would be worth the effort to learn SignWriting., because it
looked like a system which is really actively used. … and there is so much great
material which makes it easy to get started! Material about the system in
general and, especially for DGS, Stefan Woehrmann's site. I was really amazed how
easy it was to get the basics of the system and to carry on from that - thanks
to Valery's fantastic course book and to Stefan's huge DGS dictionary for sw
dos!
At the moment I am mainly using SignWriting to write down vocabulary I learn
in my DGS classes. It's a lot of fun to learn this beautiful language and to
be able to write it down!

I have been on the SWList for quite a while by now (since November 03) and
have followed the contributions with great interest. Since I am not working on
sign languages, I don't have much to contribute myself, though. Still, I wanted
to use the occasion to say that I am deeply impressed by all the work on
SignWriting and by the supportive and cooperative community!

           Manfred.

PS: isn't it funny: before I decided to become a linguist, I had been trained
in  classical ballet for more than 10 years (which also included a basic
introduction to the Benesh dance notation system). So I can really appreciate all
aspects of the Sutton writing systems!