IMWA: Handshape Construction and Sequencing Rules

Bart Braem bart.braem at UA.AC.BE
Wed Jun 2 15:38:18 UTC 2004

> Bart, can you explain how the categories and sub-categories would be
> coded without using numbers?

Well, it would go like this: take the very first hand from
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0147-sss2004-Category1.pdf
than I suggest not numbering it, but refering to it as the symbol with
category: hand
group: index finger
symbolnumber: 1
variation: a number
fill: a number or maybe even better: a logical name: filled, empty, ...
rotation: a number between 0 and 360 (but not 360 for clarity)

How the pictures are named then is the same to us, a directory structure for
the groups and categories could do we think, it would reflect the tree
structure just fine. Hope this makes our proposition all a little more clear.

Bart & Steven
--
Woordenboek Vlaamse Gebarentaal
http://gebaren.ugent.be