Rotations

Sun Jun 6 16:50:44 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 6, 2004

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> Meanwhile, SymbolBank is showing every possible rotation that can exist
> in the entire writing system...like a huge database...without a Rotate
> Key...Let me show you how I work daily, through a series of GIFs...

In SignBank, you can view the symbols in Symbol-At-A-Glance, in
SignBank Portal 7. Attached is an example. I clicked on the symbol I
wanted to view, in the scrolling list of symbols to the left, and then
all the rotations and flops for that one symbol appears on a grid. The
numbers across 01-06 are Fills, or the N Key in SignWriter. The numbers
down are Rotations, that appear under the Rotate Key in SignWriter. The
first 8 rotations are counter-clockwise, and are used for the right
hand in the Expressive Viewpoint. The second 8 rotations are flopped
and then clockwise, and are used for the left hand in the Expressive.
All these symbols are used somewhere in the system, but not always in
the Expressive...They are also used in Receptive writing, and in
DanceWriting, MimeWriting etc...