Sign Proccessing Software

Mon Jun 14 03:59:34 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 13, 2004

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Val - one thing for the site - would it be acceptable for me to
> translate
> the "Lessons in SignWriting" manual into BSL - that is to say, replace
> the
> sample ASL signs with suitable NSL signs (in this case, produced with
> SignWriter DOS or Java, of course) and publish it on my site? What
> would be
> the best way to do this? I do have a PDF rewriter program, if that's
> necessary.

Hello Everyone, and Sandy!
It would be a great honor to have our textbook in BSL too...Thank you
for asking, and of course you have my permission and I will help
wherever I can...The Lessons in SignWriting Textbook, or similar
textbooks teaching SignWriting, have been written in:

Danish, with DSL diagrams
English, with ASL diagrams (the original)
French, with Swiss-French Sign Language diagrams
German, with Swiss-German Sign Language diagrams (I think...I have
never seen this book, but I am told it was done)
German, with German Sign Language diagrams (I know Stefan is working on
this)
Norwegian, with NSL diagrams
Portuguese, with Brazilian Sign Language diagrams
Spanish, with Nicaraguan Sign Language diagrams
Spanish, with Spanish Sign Language diagrams (there are two versions,
one called SignoEscritura, which is a different book, and one is an
exact translation)

Have I forgotten one? Please tell me if I have. In Ireland, they do
have a textbook that teaches Irish Sign Language using SignWriting, but
that is by Patrick Matthews and is a totally different textbook...

Sandy - I notice you mention NSL signs in your paragraph above, but I
assume you mean BSL signs all the way...and that will be great...I will
also be happy to teach you how to type with SignWriter DOS again if you
wish! It might be a way for me to explain the typing techniques, which
have not been properly documented...