Flying Bird

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Jun 19 15:21:10 UTC 2004

Dear SignWriting List,

I'm stuck!

In BSL we have a classifier for a flying bird. It's just the "L" hand held
horizontally and moved in the direction the index finger is pointing while
the thumb flaps up and down.

I've tried to demonstrate this as a series of handshapes in the attached
GIF. What I would like to do is write it in the form of the sign below
(which show a bird flying "overhead"), but although I've been looking to see
if there's anything I've missed in the way of (thumb) knuckle movements and
(thumb) rotation, I can't find a way of showing the movement of the thumb as
the hand moves forward. Apart from the general forward motion (forward from
the bird's point of view, that is!), no part of the hand moves other than
the thumb.

So, how's it done?

Sandy Fleming