introducing myself to sw-l

Tue Jun 22 02:50:46 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 21, 2004

On Jun 21, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Manfred Sailer wrote:
> PS: isn't it funny: before I decided to become a linguist, I had been
> trained in classical ballet for more than 10 years (which also
> included a basic introduction to the Benesh dance notation system). So
> I can really appreciate all aspects of the Sutton writing systems!

No kidding? Ha! That is a coincidence, although I believe that dancers
are attracted to signed languages instinctively...and there are always
some dancers who end up training to become interpreters later, after
their dance careers are over...so perhaps that is not that surprising,
come to think of it!...

Tini Pel, on this List, is also a dancer whom I knew in Copenhagen back
in 1974! Tini has become quite a Signwriter now too...You can read her
poetry and stories on the web:

SignPoetry Site
http://www.cyberjer.com/signpoet/

Did you dance professionally? I also was in classical ballet training
all my teen years, and then taught the Bournonville Schools as a guest
teacher at different colleges and seminars, as well as teaching
DanceWriting...And way back in the early 1970's, I danced two summers
in Cologne, Germany, with members of the Royal Danish Ballet and other
dancer friends...we traveled down from Copenhagen to Koln to a summer
seminar that was world famous for dancers, with teachers from all over
the world...do you know the Koln Dance Festival? I am not sure of the
name after so many years...it was a little on the outskirts of
town...at a big festival area...is it still going?...smile...

And last, regarding Benesh, for those who do not know dance notation
systems...there are hundreds of them...but there are around four that
really got used in the world...Labanotation, Benesh Dance Notation
(Choreology), Sutton DanceWriting, and then there was the
Eshkol-Wachmann system from Israel...

Can you read DanceWriting, Manfred?