ASL Numbers for SignWriting Playing Cards

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Fri Mar 5 20:35:09 UTC 2004

Hi Val,

While SignWriter and the dictionaries do have the numbers, I will need make
9 additional signs, because each number has 4 orientations (suits): palm
towards, away, side, and down.  I guess this would be a great time to try my
skill with SignWriter Dos.

My dictionary is just a folder with gif images.  www.pudl.info/dict  The
only searching I have is from a pull down list.  www.pudl.info/dict.php

The English to ASL translator uses a scripting language (PHP) to replace
each English word with the image file name.  www.pudl.info/trans.php  An
example would be "read and write sign" becomes "/dict/read.gif /dict/and.gif
/dict/write.gif /dict/sign.gif". As long as the gif exists, the image will
be displayed.

On my site I try to use a lot of SignWriting.  I use a function to directly
convert the English words into images.  For Black Jack Run, I use the words
"black J 21".  See www.pudl.info/games/bjr  If I want to change the
SignWriting, I only need to change the words I use, or the SignWriting
images.  It makes the programming much easier.

I plan on opening up my dictionary and allowing anyone to add SignWriting
images.  This may be dangerous, but I will keep an eye on what happens.
After the dictionary becomes larger, I would like to assign rights and
privileges to individual users.

-Stephen Slevinski
www.pudl.info