a SignWriting online dictionary open to many contributors...

Sun Mar 7 01:02:42 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 6, 2004

Dear SW List, and Stephen!
Regarding PNG versus GIF...I actually resisted changing from GIF to PNG
for this very reason, because I had sooo many files in GIF already, and
because I knew that PNG was a new format and may not be accepted in
older web browsers...However, we discussed this issue on the SW List
awhile back, and some of the European programmers on our List,
suggested that PNG was better than GIFs for several reasons...first it
has a slightly better graphics quality, second there are no legal
restrictions on it...which apparently is not true for GIF, which is not
free from patents in Europe yet...so for people in Europe, the PNG
format is best...So I started to make PNGs and I like the format. I
believe it will be the replacement for GIF all over the world in time.
Meanwhile, some people with older browsers do have trouble reading
PNGs...and I believe Charles Butler may be one of them..so no format is
a perfect situation no matter what we do...The reason I brought it up,
Stephen, is that I have 650 signs for your dictionary ready to go in
individual PNG files, but I do not want to change them to GIFs now...so
I only asked because I can give them to you if you can accept PNGs and
your dictionary would get fatter faster!...Val ;-)