PUDL Site and number 13...

Mon Mar 22 16:53:03 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 22, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> I have also updated the SignWriting Playing Cards so that they use the
> correct versions for 11, 12, and 13.  The online game and the playing
> cards
> download have both been fixed.  I decided to use the newer version of
> 13
> with the angled fingers.  Interestingly, it appears that this symbol
> is not
> included with the SSS-US.

Smile...yes, that is correct. The reason there are two spellings for
the number 13 in ASL is for this very reason. We didn't have the
handshape you chose, so we had to get by with the other handshape.
Technically, the handshape you chose is the correct one, because the
Finger Movement Arrows are supposed to be over the last position in the
movement. So we may need to add more symbols to the SSS-US...I am
trying to get by with 80 handshapes, but it probably will have to be
more in the long run...The SSS-2004 will have everything and you can
choose from that symbolset to get the handshape you want...Please see
attached...