Belgium: Handshape symbols used for searching...

Fri Mar 26 16:27:15 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 26, 2004

Steven Aerts wrote:
> You are totally right about that, so I changed it.
> I also added a space between the signs and their border in the result.
>  That
> way they are more readable as you stated before. Steven

Regarding...http://plantijn.ruca.ua.ac.be/~aertsbraem/ASL/

Hello Everyone, and Steven in Belgium!

Thanks for making the changes so quickly.....;-)

Here is what is on my mind....

1. I cannot get the contact stars to appear on the stick figure's
body...What am I doing wrong? I find the handshape I want. I then click
on the hand of the stick figure. I then choose a contact star, and that
takes me back to the search page...but no star appears on the stick
figure. I then push the Search button, and it seems to find all the
signs with that handshape and contact star...but the stick figure
itself never shows the contact stars like your diagram did...

2. Grouping by numbers of fingers is fine, and I like that, but which
handshapes belong under which category is an interesting question and I
would place them differently based on years of SSS development...I know
you have already made two changes and thanks for that...but before you
do any extra work, let me show you what I am talking about in its
entirety, so you can think through what you want to do...I know how
other SignWriting users think...at least they have let me know over the
years, and I have made many changes myself, thanks to their feedback...

3. Thank you for giving the signs more spacing when they are listed
(see attached diagram). That is great! Is there any way to make the
line for the box grey, or light blue, or better yet, invisible? I know
you need the box for programming reasons, but the person who is using
the database doesn't need to see it. Imagine if you were searching for
Dutch words, and each Dutch word came back with a box around it...It
would be harder to read the words...and harder to place them into
sentences with a box around each word!

4. I am having trouble copying the signs to my computer desktop. If I
choose download it ends up a .php file, and that seems to be unreadable
by most graphics programs. How does a person best copy the signs to
their desktop, using the mouse right-click?...