Advantages of ASL GLoss for SignWriting

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Sun Mar 28 19:57:34 UTC 2004

>         SignWriter falls into this trap over and over, where people who
> have mastered languages like English with a long written tradition
> find it
> easier to use the dictionary function than to type signs from scratch,
> so
> they never learn to type and never pass it on to the native signers.
> Part of this is because the SignWriter typing system is difficult to
> master, but I think it would actually be better in the long run if the
> dictionary lookup function weren't included in SignWriter.
>
>                                         -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
>                                         Linguistics Department
>                                         University of New Mexico
>                                         grvsmth at unm.edu
>                                         grvsmth at panix.com

I would like to see how the Chinese and Japanese enter their symbols on
  the computer. I found something about "input methods", and as I
understood it for Japanese, they enter the word as pronounced with
Latin letters and the input method displays the symbol or the symbols
and with a hit on Enter the symbol get pasted to the text. I am not
sure whether I understood this process fully but I think that
SignWriting should and can learn from Japanese and Chinese in this
aspect.

Just my humble opinion.
Daniel Noelpp