A Deaf perspective

Mon Mar 29 15:54:39 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 29, 2004

Dear SW List, and Dan -
This is a very nice message (below), from my perspective-ha!....I am
glad you feel this way...Thank you for this, Dan....

I believe you came to visit me, in Newport Beach, California, in the
mid-1980's? I remember that, and there are times when I think back and
realize how far we have come...don't you agree?

And there are so many on this List who have been working with
SignWriting since the 1980's or 1990's - List members who have
continued to write signed languages no matter what the criticism. So
the criticism has been hard on everyone, although very interesting, and
provides a picture into human nature.

Thank you, to everyone, for your  introductions...I am enjoying reading
them!

But regarding the people from that "angry web site" ....They are
well-meaning is my guess. But they are hurting themselves, by becoming
angry. They are following a sad trend in our American society, which I
feel should change...namely screaming at people when you want
something, under the guise of "principles"...The idea that whoever
shouts the loudest, has "won"...Of course the shouters are not heard
any longer, because no one can be heard, since everyone is shouting at
once! And pushing your ideas on someone never works well...There is no
question that changes need to be made to our educational system, but
shouting at the teachers, who are not paid well, and who are overworked
by their administrators, and who give their own private money to help
their Deaf students get the materials they need (I know, I have seen
the selfless teachers who give and give and give)...those teachers
cannot be criticised for the position they have been put in...Teachers
want Deaf students to learn to read well, but the teachers were missing
one component, which was out of their control...They lacked equality
for both ASL and English. With only a writing system for one language
(English), the Deaf children were left trying to learn to read a
language they do not know, cannot hear, and is abstract in its writing
system. But when you add the written ASL in SignWriting, it is like a
light bulb going off in the Deaf child's head...They understand both
languages better, when both can be written...

I wonder if the people who created that shouting web site know about
SignWriting? Because of the shouting, I got turned off and left the
site before searching for a SignWriting element...

Regarding the insane business model you correctly mention, Dan, (grin),
you are absolutely right. There is no money in the way I am running our
web site, giving SignWriting documents and software away for free...But
on the other side to that...The very fact that I am giving it away for
free is part of the reason that we have thousands of people using
SignWriting in 27 countries! And since we are a "non-profit"
organization, I can gather funds through writing grants...I just need
to do that more. We were in debt at the end of last year, but I am
paying it off now, and I look forward to being debt-free...

I want to thank others on this List, who are also very generous with
their time and funds, to help SignWriting continue. I am not the only
one here, who has given to SignWriting projects...So many thanks to our
SignWriting family - Team work is making this possible...

Belgium diagrams are coming, and if there are any other SignWriting
projects that need our feedback, please post them to the
List....Everyone's ideas are most welcome. I know there are several
interesting presentations for the Lisbon conference, and I am happy to
help where I can - In fact, I feel very inspired by all the great
projects!

Val ;-)