HI from CH

Wed Mar 31 22:41:33 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 31, 2004

Dear SW List, and Penny from German-Switzerland!
Great to hear from you, Penny...This is so important ....to know that
the Deaf Community in Switzerland is testing your CDs, and using
SignWriting..and they are even correcting SignSpellings - ha! That is
the best news for Swiss-German Sign Language possible...Congratulations
on this work...The German-Swiss Deaf Association...wow...that makes me
smile...

I guess I feel old, Penny, when I realize that the energetic computer
programmers who are paving the road to a future in processing
SignWriting, are all around 20 to 30 years old! At age 53, I am the
old-timer - ha! And even Rich Gleaves, the developer of SignWriter DOS,
turned 47 the other day...So it is a new generation of
programmers...and actually I think that is pretty cool...I am so happy
that Richard is one of the invited speakers at the Lisbon Conference on
May 30th...When I think of the ten years he worked for us, unpaid, and
so dedicated to creating a way to type this unusual writing system...no
matter what programs are developed in the future...we owe him so much!
And he was always behind his computer, and never traveled to Europe
before in his life, so isn't this a wonderful gift? As a Californian
surfer, Rich tells me that he plans, with his girlfriend Laura, to
travel to Estoril, a city in Portugal near Lisbon...after the
conference....just to see the Mediterranean!

Thank you, Antonio Carlos, for making this conference available to all
of us...It really is just what SignWriting needed...a way for
programmers to share their ideas...

Val ;-)