Exaggerated Sign Language and Synonyms

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Mon Mar 1 22:10:27 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I am trying to make a vocabulary game for English that uses SignWriting and
Alphabet.  I have a few ideas to share and would appreciate comments.

Consider all of the synonyms for the word happy: joyous, joyful, merry,
mirthful, glad, gleeful, delighted, cheerful, gay, laughing, contented,
genial, satisfied, enraptured, congenial, cherry, jolly, hilarious

ÿÿ hat are the synonyms for the sign  œ¬ appy m    How would you need to
exaggerate the sign  œ¬ appy m  so that it could be interpreted as  œÞ nraptured

The game will starts with a simple sign.  The sign will be exaggerated.  An
English word will describe the new sign.  The game will start online.  A
line of card games could be created by subject matter and grade level.

The game will teach SignWriting and English vocabulary.

I have a small database.  The database will grow with the game.  There is a
great possibility for education with a large database.

I know that perfect interpretations of ASL are not possible in English.  But
a sufficient interpretation is possible.

Hearing children use phonetics to learn to read.  I think that deaf children
could learn using exaggeration instead.

-Stephen