ASL Numbers for SignWriting Playing Cards

Fri Mar 5 18:31:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 5, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> While SignWriter and the dictionaries do have the numbers, I will need
> make
> 9 additional signs, because each number has 4 orientations (suits):
> palm
> towards, away, side, and down.  I guess this would be a great time to
> try my
> skill with SignWriter Dos.

Dear SW Listers, and Stephen -
Yes, I realize that you will need to do some typing yourself...but this
is what I meant...

There is a technique that people use when typing SignWriting:

1. They search the dictionary for the sign they want. Let us imagine
you want to find the number 11. You search for "eleven" and you find
it. Once you find it, in SignWriter DOS, you press the Return or Enter
Key, and that places the number 11 in your document. From there, you
can make copies of that sign (in your document with Alt-C for copy),
and make the necessary changes, and then re-add the various spellings
into your DOS dictionary, so you now will have all the palm facings you
need to make your cards...

2. Once you have the signs you need in your DOS dictionary, you can
then open your SignWriter Java folder and copy the .dic and .din files
into your SignWriter Java folder. Be sure that everything is lower case
names in the Java folder. So you would copy SW001.DIC and SW001.DIN
into your SignWriter Java folder, but then rename them sw001.dic and
sw001.din. That will replace the current dictionary in the Java folder.
When you open SignWriter Java you will find that the dictionary now has
your new signs, and you can then capture them in the "better-looking"
graphics that comes with SignWriter Java...

If you follow these techniques, then your mis-understandings on how to
write 11, could not have happened, because the two-dots would have been
there for you, properly typed in the dictionary, and then you could add
your variations...