Three SignWriting Online Dictionaries

Wed Mar 10 16:07:43 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 10, 2004

Dear SW List...
SignWriting is quite international. Everyday there seems to be a new
project somewhere in the world, and I am sure that we are not aware of
many of them...So I bet there are more than three SignWriting Online
Dictionaries on the web! If someone knows of others, please tell us....

Below are links to three SignWriting Online Dictionaries that I know
about...Each has a different focus...

1. PUDL: American Sign Language Online Dictionary
http://www.pudl.info/dictionary/search.php

----------------------------

2. Online Dictionaries from Belgium
I don't know how long these large dictionaries will be available to us,
but they are excellent. I know people who access them regularly...The
ASL dictionary has 3,100 signs...and the Flemish dictionary, around
6000 signs...

About the Belgian Project
http://plantijn.ruca.ua.ac.be/~aertsbraem/

ASL dictionary on the web...
http://plantijn.ruca.ua.ac.be/~aertsbraem/ASL/alfabet.php

Flemish Sign Language Dictionary on the web...
http://vgtserv.ugent.be/alfabet.php

------------------------------

3. SIGNBANK
Online Dictionaries for Different Countries
http://www.SignBank.org

I am starting with 6 country dictionaries:
Brazil, Germany, Norway, Spain, Swiss-German and USA...

If you visit, you will see the countries are still under
construction...I will be putting just a few signs from each country
into the online dictionary, and then I will write to people in those
countries to help me test it...then I will build an international
database over time...