Translation Feature on PUDL Site

Thu Mar 18 17:09:24 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 18, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> Right now I am working on the utility to create new signs online.
> Once I
> have that done, I'll rework the translation display.

Smile...I understand!

Regarding sentences written in vertical columns...which is the standard
for publishing SignWriting around the world...the same sentence
translation would look like this (see attached)...notice the
fingerspelling is placed on two lines, but the fingerspelling symbols
as a whole are still grouped together making a unit...like a sign in
its own right...

Another very important point: The center of the vertical column is
always determined by the center of the Facial Circle...When writing
vertical columns, the Head Circle establishes the center of the
vertical column. That is why it is such a wonderful way to write,
because the hands placed to the left or the right of the body are
easily read...body shifts become easy to see quickly...

An article to read about Vertical Columns:

Web Article:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/grammar/vertical/vert000.html

PDF
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0012-ASL-Grammar-02.pdf