Translation Feature on PUDL Site

Thu Mar 18 21:13:38 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 18, 2004

On Mar 18, 2004, at 12:35 PM, Bill Reese wrote:
> You know me - I'm late-deaf and have only been using sign language for
> about 7 or so years - yet I had no problem following the flow of the
> signs on PUDL's site.  The horizontal space didn't bother me and,
> while the vertical looked like it could be improved, I didn't have a
> problem with signs blending together. Bill

-----

Hello Everyone, and Stephen and Bill -
Thanks for this comment, Bill, and certainly it is good for Stephen to
know this. And I am glad you are reading SignWriting and have no
trouble with it!

However, I know of six others who disagree with you...smile...namely 5
teachers of the Deaf in Albuquerque, and myself.... One of the teachers
is Deaf herself, and I understood through an interpreter in the last
workshop that they all felt there needed to be more space between the
signs...

I think teaching SignWriting to children, and reading SignWriting
yourself, are probably two different experiences...Let us imagine you
are using the Translation web page in a class of deaf children ages
6-8, and they see two contact stars touching the chin of the first sign
in this diagram ...The stars really belong with the sign for NAME
below, but I can imagine a child asking what is touching the chin of
the sign for HELLO?...smile... So to assist literacy, I think it is
wise to put more space.......Val ;-)