Sign-Definitions written in Sign Language

Sat Mar 27 17:52:43 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 27, 2004

Dear SW List, Stephen and Adam!
There is a new era starting....SignWriting dictionaries are starting to
include Sign-Definitions in SignWriting...such as an ASL dictionary
with definitions written in ASL....

Just as in spoken language dictionaries....for example, English words
are described and defined with English paragraphs in some English
dictionaries. Well, now that can be true for Sign Language dictionaries
too.

I know of two such attempts, but I bet there are more in the world that
I do not know about...The first is the PUDL web site, that makes it
possible to type in an ASL gloss of a definition, and that definition
appears written in SignWriting in the dictionary...

Please see attached diagram...notice I typed in the definition I wanted
for the sign....a second diagram is coming, showing you the results...