Face animation questions

Sat Mar 27 19:00:37 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 27, 2004

Nikos Grammalidis wrote:
> 2) Please try to explain to us the meaning (i.e. what parts of the
> face move and how) in the following facial expressions -contact tip of
> nose (does the fingertip touch the tip of nose or what?)

Dear SW List, and Nikos!
Please see attached diagram...Top row, reading from left to
right....Nose, Contact-Nose, Wrinkled Nose, and Wiggling Nose...The
bottom row from left to right...Air out of mouth, Air into mouth,
Exhale, Inhale.

What is Contact-Nose? It could be written as two separate symbols...the
Nose and a Touch Contact Star, but because contacting the nose happens
frequently in signed languages, we started to make that combination
into ONE symbol...

The nose is contacted in ASL in a variety of ways...the fingers can
touch the nose, the palm of the hand, even the arm can touch the nose
occasionally...so there are a variety of signs that use that symbol....