GREECE: Whole Face to Right or Left...

Sun Mar 28 18:03:12 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 28, 2004

> Nikos Grammalidis wrote:
>> 2) Please try to explain to us the meaning (i.e. what parts of the
>> face move and how) in the following facial expressions -- whole face
>> over to the right/left (does the neck-whole head turn?)

Please see attached diagram from the Lessons in SignWriting textbook on
the web...If you scroll down, you will find the Whole Face symbols at
the bottom of the diagram...

The Whole Face Movement Symbols do not represent the neck moving or
turning or twisting in any way...There is no neck movement at all....

What does the symbol mean? Imagine being a child again, trying to make
funny faces. Imagine trying to move your jaw and cheeks and
nose...everything to the right or left...silly faces will occur! And
everyone is a little different, but those symbols, believe it or not,
are used in some gesture or mime writing...in general movement
writing...they actually stem from DanceWriting...smile...I even used
them in writing movements for a psychologist once, related to body
language...a person did that as an expression of disgust...smile...