A Deaf perspective

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Wed Mar 31 17:58:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Stephen Slevinski wrote:

> My name is Stephen, and I am an offensive hearing person who thinks he
> knows what's good for deaf, and I ª> also a hotshot programmer
> (somewhat).

	Heh!  It's funny; I assumed you were Deaf because of how confident
you were about your work.  My comments weren't directed at you (you at
least have had some contact with Deaf people); I just wanted to mention
how this phenomenon of hotshot programmers is nothing new either.  In any
case, I appreciate that you're willing to listen and ask questions.  But
I'm still waiting for someone to ask some Deaf people what kind of
natural-language technology they'd actually like to see.

					-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
					Linguistics Department
					University of New Mexico
					grvsmth at unm.edu