Can you read this email? ;-)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 3 22:21:18 UTC 2004

Well, "smile" and "announce" make a good "minimal pair" then.  Would be a good example for an advanced SW textbook.  All of us tend to "think in what we know" rather than actually "read" a sign.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
May 3, 2004

Bill Reese wrote:
> I had a little trouble with "Announcing".  I don't think that's what
> you are saying but I don't know ASL enough to know what else that
> movement may mean. Bill

Hello Everyone, and Bill, and Stefan!
Thanks for reading my email in ASL signs, Bill. You did a great job!
Everything was perfect except for the one sign....

I am no great expert on ASL either! I prepared that email on the PUDL
site, using English glosses...

Stefan guessed correctly...I was trying to write the sign for
SMILE...it was rubbing in the mouth area, where the sign for ANNOUNCE
moves forward without any symbols for rubbing...Please see the
attached: