Do you want these handshapes in the IMWA?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 10 13:22:54 UTC 2004

Ingvild wrote:

"We also do have a weird one for use in physics and
mathematics, representing the greek letter phi: an O
with the index crossing down in front of the O (only
seen with back of hand to the side, fingers down).
However, if we do get this little toolbox to tinker
with, we could easily write it. Sorting the SignBank
with it would be a different matter, if it is not
included."

Charles Butler wrote:

I'd be curious to see how the Greeks do the letter
"phi" to compare to yours.  Wouldn't that be a way to
perform cross-cultural ties when one is using an
alphabet (such as math) that relies upon another
culture's alphabet? Getting the Greek alphabet as used
by Greek deaf to be the "fingerspelling" for use in
math, science, and physics?"  Also the Hebrew "Aleph"
for use in "Aleph-null" in infinity equations.

Hmm.