SignWriting History: Questions

Thu May 13 00:05:33 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 12, 2004

> 1970-1972
> So you have been invited to live in Denmark. That does mean that they
> (who
> ?? ) have got in contact with your private notation system??  You
> moved to
> Copenhagen- wow – what about you Danish language skills –Have you felt
> the
> desire to learn as much as possible – kind of autodidactic course – or
> ----
> with the help of daily contact with kind Danish hosts?? You did marry a
> Danish man – is that correct? Has he been involved in ballet dancing or
> signlanguage research --
> (Please do not mind me to ask. If it is too personal forgive me and
> ignore
> the last question. Just because somewhere I read something about this
> – but
> do not know ….)
>
> What happened in between 1972 and 1974? Did you stay at Copenhagen all
> the
> time? What kind of job did you do for your living??

Thank you for these questions!

In 1970-1972 I went to Denmark as a ballet student. I chose to travel
there alone, to study at a famous summer ballet training seminar, in
Copenhagen. I trained with teachers of the Royal Danish Ballet. I fell
in love with the Bournonville Schools...that is a special ballet
training system that was developed by a famous ballet master, August
Bournonville, in 1832. Teachers had been teaching these historic dance
steps...by demonstrating it...without any writing system. There were no
videos of the training at that time either, so it had never been
recorded visually. And the people were changing the movements
unintentionally...that was bound to happen if it was not written down
for historic purposes.

Sooo...after the summer seminar was over, I stayed in Copenhagen and
asked one of the best teachers, if I could work with her daily, to
record the beautiful dances on paper. Her name was Edel Pedersen. And
Edel could not speak English. So through my work with Edel, I learned
Danish and became conversationally fluent. I never learned Danish in
any classroom...only through experience. Edel didn't have to teach me
much...I picked it up real fast...

But regarding the Bournonville preservation work, I worked with Edel
Pedersen for two years...from 1970 to 1972...daily coming to her living
room and I would write what she taught me. At first I didn't trust my
own personal stick figure notation, and started writing it with words -
sometimes it would take paragraphs to write one dance...many pages...it
was rediculous to use words...so over the two year period I preserved
the Bournonville dances, and I started to use my stick figure notation.
By the time I went to Portugal to dance in 1972, the writing system was
really getting polished because of those two years writing Bournonville
in Copenhagen.

What happened after Portugal in 1972? I returned home to California and
started immediately to write my first textbook, which is now
out-of-print, but was the official beginning of the writing system. By
Fall, 1973, the book was done. It was a hard and strenuous job. Books
in those days were not prepared by computer...I wrote all the diagrams
by hand myself, and then typed the English for the book on an old style
typewriter. We then took the book to a typesetter...and the typesetter
had to type the whole document again into this machine and it gave us
miles of galleys...long long pages of typesetting, which we had to
proof for mistakes. I will never forget my mother and I sitting on our
floor, trying to read all those gallys to find mistakes...we were told
to read it backwards to catch spelling mistakes, because if you read
forward, you forget to look for spelling errors! Then we took the
gallys and the diagrams to a layout artist, and they pasted the book
onto cardboard with wax. And then we printed 500 copies ourselves. The
book was called "Sutton Movement Shorthand, The Classical Ballet Key,
Book 1"...you can see I had dreams of more books - ha!

Then in late Fall, 1973, I became very ill and I was hospitalized in
San Francisco.... I survived, and in 1974 we started our non-profit
organization, which was first called The Movement Shorthand Society,
and later the name was changed to the Center For Sutton Movement
Writing Inc.

In early 1974, we published our first notated Sheet Dances....a whole
bunch of them....beautifully published on shiny white paper...just like
buying the Sheet Music for a song, but instead people could read the
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, or the Bournonville schools, in Sheet
Dance form.

So how did I return to Denmark? I wrote a letter to the Queen of
Denmark, thanking her for all that Denmark had done for me, and for our
writing system. I sent her a copy of my new book on DanceWriting. I
explained to the Queen that it was because of Denmark and the
Bournonville Schools, that I invented the system, and that I hoped that
by preserving the Bournonville historic dances, that we had somehow
given something back to Denmark in return. I did this because my
teacher in Denmark, Edel Pedersen, taught ballet lessons to the Queen
and her family...so since my books were a direct link to the Queen's
ballet teacher... Edel was thrilled with this. About one month later, I
received an invitation from the Royal Danish Ballet to come to teach
DanceWriting to the Royal Danish Ballet dancers, and that was how I got
invited back to Denmark. The Queen had given the Royal Danish Ballet
director, the copy of the book I had sent her...So I returned to
Denmark in the summer of 1974. I first taught DanceWriting to the
Tivoli Pantomime Theater dancers in August, and by September I was
teaching at the Royal Theater. It was an 8 week course.

There were newspaper articles about DanceWriting in the newspapers in
Copenhagen...Researchers at the University of Copenhagen had a research
project involving hearing person's gestures. They were doing research
comparing hearing person's gestures with Deaf people's gestures...and
they needed a way to write those movements. So after reading the
newspaper article about DanceWriting, they telephoned me at the Royal
Theater and asked if I would come to present to their research group in
the Audiological Department at the University of Copenhagen. The
researcher who ran the lab was named Lars von der Lieth...a lovely man.
I bet some people on this List know Lars? Lars and his team were not
interested in writing signs...They just needed a way to write gesture,
for a paper they were publishing, so they gave me an office at the
University with a videotape machine. I watched hours of hearing people
communicating with their naturally made gestures, and then hours of
seeing Deaf people signing. That was the first time I took the symbols
from DanceWriting and applied them to writing the movements I saw on
the videotape. While doing this work, it struck me that Danish Sign
Language was exceptionally beautiful. I had never seen a sign language
before and I fell in love with the visual movements. And I could see it
was a real language. It was obvious to me, that true communication was
most definitely there...When I heard later that hearing people hadn't
realized signed languages were real languages before, I was stunned and
surprised...How could they think otherwise? So Lars and his team had to
teach me about the world of the Deaf, and all the sadness that comes
with it...They told me about Dr. Stokoe's research, and I remember
saying to Lars that I couldn't believe that people would not have
assumed what Dr. Stokoe proved, was correct to begin with! But
nevermind...of course it was great to hear that Dr. Stokoe was able to
set them all straight!!

That is why, when people say that SignWriting was based on Stokoe's
research, they are clearly mistaken. I had never heard of Dr Stokoe
before, when I first wrote Danish signs, and I had no idea of all the
controversy surrounding sign language issues...

After writing signs from videotape for about three months, I mentioned
to Lars that Danish Sign Language might benefit from a writing
system...not one for researchers, but one for Deaf people in their
daily lives...it is a really beautiful language and I can't imagine
living without a writing system for my own language. Lars was against
that idea, and told me that he didn't think anyone would want
that...They just wanted it for research use....So I kept quiet about my
idea, and went back to the US...I never gave up that thought
though...Years later, in 1982, when I returned to teach SignWriting to
a group of teachers of the Deaf in Copenhagen, Lars invited me back to
give a little talk to his old research group. It was wonderful to
return to the old office and area where I had first attempted to write
signs...and Lars was sooo sweet, and told the audience that he had
thought I was basically crazy, back in 1974, when I suggested that we
could write Danish Sign Language, but now he can see that I was right
and he was glad that I didn't give up! A true gentleman!

You asked above about my Danish husband?....Actually, I didn't marry
until 1984...a whole ten years later. And my husband was in the US
visiting his sister, who is married to an American. So he was here and
we met at a Danish-American party...in Laguna Beach, California, of all
places! But we did end up having our wedding ceremony in Denmark, but
then moved to La Jolla after we married, and I have lived here ever
since. Our marriage ended only a year and 8 months later...that is
ok...it was the best for both of us, and Kim returned to Denmark...My
ex-husband was neither a dancer or a sign language person...he taught
German in the Danish School system - ha!

OK...I will now find some of those first SignWriting documents..some of
them are really amazing and not what you expect...all from 1974-1975...