DanceWriting History to SignWriting History...

Thu May 13 15:48:59 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 13, 2004

Tini Pel wrote:
> Oh Valerie, absolutely great !!!! Thank you so much for taking the
> time out to share the history of your Sign Writing with us. Yes I
> could read the dance writing although not all of it, as I can not
> remember the circles besides the stick figures on the floor line. I do
> have to get back at it and I will when our spring sessions are
> finished. I still have your autographed book and lessons and since I
> am returning into teaching ballet I want to be able again of "jotting
> down" some ballet notes and class preparations. It was great reading
> about your experiences I have printed it all out and will keep it at
> my desk.

Hello Everyone, and Tini!
That is so nice of you to take the time to read all that history...I
hope I didn't bore everyone! And congratulations, Tini, on returning to
teaching dance. Thank you for sending me your new brochure...it is
lovely.

For the List members...Tini and I go way back. We met in Copenhagen,
around 1974 or 1975? Is that right, Tini? It was when I returned to
teach the Royal Danish Ballet, I believe I held some DanceWriting
seminars outside the Royal Theater and I believe you attended one of
those? And then years later, Tini took a series of correspondence
courses in DanceWriting with the DW teachers at the Boston Conservatory
of Music. When Tini started teaching kids to sign, I was totally
astonished! So there are so many twists and turns to our history
together...

By the way, Tini, the Position Symbols, also called the 3-D Symbols,
were to the side of the stick figure on the floor line, in the
BEGINNING of the writing system, but as time went on, they were dropped
below the five line staff, so they did not clutter the stick figure.
Why? Because that way, we could take the 3-D symbols away, if we didn't
want all that detail...so most people just read the stick figure and
occasionally look down at the 3-D symbols to see something, if they are
having problems reading the stick figure...We found out that most
people do not need the 3-D symbols at all...

So Tini, by the time you took the correspondence courses with our
DanceWriting teachers in Boston, you were learning the symbols under
the staff, not to the side on the floor line.

List members...Here is a sample DanceWriting page that is from
1973...See the round symbols under the five-lined staff? Those are the
3-D symbols we are talking about...They show the 3-D relationship for
the legs and arms, relating to the center of the body. They were
developed because sometimes it was hard to see if one leg was hiding
behind the other....The attached diagram shows an excerpt from a Sheet
Dance published in 1973: