Dance writing

Tini Pel tinipel at ONLINK.NET
Fri May 14 01:22:34 UTC 2004

Hello Valerie and list.,
Yes we met in Copenhagen around 1974 or '75. I really can't remember, I have to go back to my files. But that does not matter. I was so thankful that we were there with our students at the time that you were there.
I was by then involved with the Benish notation after I had done Laban for some time. and found Benish a lot quicker. Then I met Valerie wow.... what a difference. After I took the correspondence course and started to teach it to our  group of serious students training to become professionals, either in dancing, teaching or related arts, they found the Sutton system easier to read and quicker to learn  as the figures were so closely related to the body.
I worked with the Sutton notation with the dance company and most of them new the system and were able to rehearse on their own from the notations. I still believe it is a good way  for dancers and students to know the system. They can take it home on a peace of paper instead of having to rely on a video machine.
Following are some pictures of young students learning to read and write dance notation. This was around 1982.
 2
The girl in the white sweater in picture 2 has used it when she was dancing with the Winnipeg Ballet Company, to jot down her parts of the ballets. I have lost contact with her. It would be nice to know if she is still using it. Three of my former students who are now teachers are still using the Sutton notation, so Valerie you have made sooooo many people happy with your work and it is still growing and growing with the Sign Writing as well
 I thought you would like to know about this.

Tini.