SW as a bridge between hearing and deaf students

Thu May 20 17:23:47 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 20, 2004

Stefan Woehrmann in Germany wrote:
> So in the end - SW again could be used as a wonderful bridge to reach
> out to
> the unknown of the other respected culture!! I bet that the parents of
> the
> hearing children will get the information that there is a written form
> for
> SL - It is simply a fact and nobody wonders - smile!

Dear SW List and Stefan!
Thank you for the great message, Stefan. (the whole message is pasted
below)...It is an important story, and it really speaks for itself... a
documentation that the writing system works for signers and
non-signers...Thank you for sharing this with us!

Thirty years ago, when SignWriting first began, no one would have
believed it...I was continually told that it would be impossible
......But thanks to members of the Deaf Community, researchers and
teachers, like yourself, Stefan, and other members of this List...we
now have a true writing system....

So Sign languages are now written languages too, and you are right, for
people to accept that as a fact, signers need to believe it themselves!

Val ;-)

PS. SignWriting is 30 years old in 2004. Imagine in another 30 years?
Can any of you tell me, what you think will happen with SignWriting in
the next 30 years?...I hope you will write to the List with your hopes
and ideas, and maybe even some plans for the future....