Can you read this email? ;-)

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon May 3 23:19:35 UTC 2004

A minimal pair is a lingistic term for a pair of words (or a pair of
signs) that are only different in one way.  For English, a minimal pair
might be _car_ and _care_, or _care_ and _pear_ or _cat_ and _bat_, etc.
  In ASL, SOON and TRAIN are different based on the orientation of the
hands.

I am not sure if SMILE and ANNOUNCE are actually minimal pairs because
there are actually two differences between the signs.  ANNOUNCE has no
rub and moves forward and to the side.  SMILE has rub and moves in an
arc up.

But minimal pairs are very very helpful for teaching writing, so it
would be good to make a list of minimal pair signs because they are good
key signs for teaching reading and writing.

This is another feature that would be very helpful for a dictionary if
it could identify signs which are identical except for one parameter.
It would allow researchers to quickly identify potential minimal pairs.
  Of course, different spellings might cause the program to miss
potential  minimal pairs, but that could be worked around I suppose.
Just a thought that occurred to me.

Thanks,

Stuart