signwriter Java questions

Thu May 13 14:35:28 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 13, 2004

Nancy E. Emery wrote:
> I'm trying to teach myself to use Signwriter Java and have a few
> questions - is there a way to
> have more than one facial expression at a time?  If i want to show
> tensed lips, eyes looking
> sideways, and lowered brows, is there a way to do that without having
> to have three separate
> head circles?

Dear SW List, and Nancy!
Thanks for this question. Please see the attached diagram. It shows
that one face can be placed on top of the other...I moved them, making
sure that the two circles really line-up with each other. This is the
way we do it in SignWriter DOS too. So combine them whenever you can.
Most of the time there is enough room inside the facial circle to
combine parts of the face, but eyegaze and eyebrows-down collide with
each other....so what to do in this case? You could have two facial
circles side-by-side, or...the lowered brow symbol could be
different...there are several possible lowered brow symbols to choose
from...let's talk about that in another email...