thanks! and more SW Java questions

Wed May 19 01:10:12 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 18, 2004

Nancy Emery wrote:
> thanks so much for your help with my SignWriter Java questions last
> week.  I
> was able to superimpose faces to combine facial expressions, and to
> stretch
> the blue editing box by sort of pinning it down with an extra symbol
> in the
> corner, as you suggested.  That enabled me to make much more complex
> sentences, it was great.  (I also finally realized that I'd been
> losing the
> blue editing box too soon by trying to use the mouse rather than the
> keyboard to select the right symbol from the row on the screen.)

Hello Everyone and Nancy!
I am glad to know that my suggestions helped you, Nancy. We are lucky
because we both are on the same operating system-Mac OSX. SignWriter
Java doesn't work 100 per cent the same on Windows and the Mac...it
should...but there are some bugs, and the bugs are different on the
different computers...so at least you and I can communicate because we
have the same bugs - ha!!

And you know, the idea of an editing box that turns blue, and lets you
type long vertical sentences, and then press the Enter or Return key to
insert the vertical sentence into your document...that feature does not
exist in SignWriter DOS. SignWriter DOS was designed for typing
horizontally, from left to right. So the blue editing box is unique to
the current version of SignWriter Java.

Regarding using your mouse to click on a symbol...that should
work...but it is best to just type and use the keyboard...that could
lead to you learning to type without a mouse, since we type English
without using our mouse.... So in the long run it is good for you to
learn to use the keyboard as much as you can...and you can use it fully
inside the blue editing box...and then press Return when you are ready
to insert the sign you just typed...

More soon...

Sutton at SignWriting.org