Printing with SignWriter Java (current version)..

Wed May 19 03:32:05 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 18, 2004

Nancy Emery wrote:
> 2)  how do you work around the trouble getting SW Java to print?
>
> Sorry to bother you with these when you're so busy getting ready for
> Lisbon
> - but I want you to know that it's very exciting to be learning how to
> type
> SW, and it will be an integral part of my MA thesis in linguistics.  I
> will
> transcribe some videotaped ASL stories into SW so that (I hope) people
> who
> don't know ASL will be able to follow what I'm talking about better,
> and so
> that there's a written record people can look at at their leisure when
> they
> may not have a video available.  Of course I hope they can also see the
> stories signed, but SW comes closer to capturing the look of real
> signing
> than any other system I know.

Printing from the current version of SignWriter Java, on Mac OSX, is
impossible. It won't even print one page. The Windows people are
luckier...they can print one page! As you know, a new version is being
programmed, but I do not know when that will be available...so until
then...once I get a document I like in SignWriter Java, I take screen
captures...three lines of SignWriting at one time, and then I open the
screen captures in Photoshop or another paint program and then print
from there...I also can make PDFs from the screen captures, and because
I own Acrobat, I can blend the different pages into one big PDF file,
rather than a bunch of one-pagers...

I am glad you are using SignWriting for your thesis. What is your
University again? I am sure you told us...I am just forgetful...

Hope you can use SignWriter Java now...smile...