Rotating Eyegaze

Sat May 22 00:18:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 21, 2004

Maria wrote:
> 3) The data I recorded consists of alot of non-manuals. One reoccuring
> feature is eye-gaze. If the eyes start at one point, and end at another
> point, how can you show this without taking up all the space on the
> face?

Here are some examples of rotating eyegaze... The first two show the
way people write it right now, with the current software, but number 3
is the way we always did it by hand...you should see some of the
documents from the 1980's in Denmark by Bente Sparrevohn, who
transcribed storytelling in Danish Sign Language in SignWriting...her
documents had these circular eye gaze symbols all the time, but that
was because the documents were written by hand with ink pens...Maria -
please tell me if you have further questions...and have a great
honeymoon!  Val ;-)