AW: SW as a bridge between hearing and deaf students

Sat May 22 17:19:19 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 22, 2004

Dear Nana, Stefan, and SW List Members:

Great to hear from you again, Nana!

Nana Dumitra wrote:
> It has been a long time since I posted on the list, but I have been
> trying
> to read the posts and keep up with most of it - the history part was
> especially interesting, thanks, Val.

That is good to know. I am looking forward to writing a true history of
the writing system in one big document, told from the beginning to the
present...after I finish the IMWA, version 1.0 - ha!

> I really enjoyed reading about your experience with hearing and deaf
> students in your class room. It sounds really neat. We will be
> starting a
> parents' sign language class in June (that is when the new school year
> starts here). And we are just working with two deaf college students
> to put
> all the materials in SW. Both of the students have not been exposed to
> much
> SW before, but they are catching on real fast and I have learned so
> many new
> signs since then. I think it is really improtant to "give" SW not only
> the deaf but also to the hearing people if we want to enhance
> communication.
> So, Stefan, I think that was great, thanks for sharing with us.

Yes. Thank you, Stefan! And thanks to you, Nana, SignWriting is
starting to be used in the Philippines...

It is wonderful that you are giving it freely to both deaf and
hearing...writing systems need to be free and open, if they are to be
used...

> We are looking forward to seeing the parents' reaction to SW. My
> husband
> will also be teaching some sign language at a college for caregivers
> and we
> plan to use SW there also. We will let you know how it goes.

Maybe your experiences will be similar to Quebec?!...Where the hearing
parents were open to SignWriting quickly...

> Have a good day,
> Nana from the Philippines

You too, Nana!

Val ;-)