[sw-l] introducing SW to Northern Ireland

Sat Nov 6 22:41:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 6, 2004

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> hi, im Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa from Sign Language Centre Belfast (in
> Northern Ireland)
>
> I was in Belgium a few weeks ago and I was visiting Kasterlinden (a
> deaf school in Brussels) where they apply sign-writing to teaching the
> wee kids there in VGT (Flemish Sign Language) - i have to say I am
> very impressed with it - and it makes it easier to teach the wee kids
> there some grammar in VGT and how VGT works.
>
> Because of this, we hope to apply it to Northern Ireland - we ll have
> some trainers coming over from Belgium to teach us how to use it.
>
> its a good and simple system to use.

-----------------

Dear SignWriting List, and Shane!
Welcome to the SignWriting List, Shane. We are glad to have you with us
;-)

And it is wonderful, to think, that teachers from Belgium inspired you
to try SignWriting... I am doing a web page about Belgium this
weekend...There are several Flemish projects now, and several members
of our List are from Flanders. I bet you know some of them....;-)

We also have several List members from the UK, in England, I believe.
And in Dublin, Ireland, SignWriting is used at Trinity College, in the
Deaf Studies program there. One of the Deaf leaders in Ireland, Patrick
Matthews, has written several books now, teaching Irish Sign Language
to hearing people, and he uses SignWriting throughout the books,
teaching the grammar of ISL. Patrick came to visit me here in
California several years ago, to work through his plans for his
books...which will be a series of books in time, and are not completed
yet.

I realize that Northern Ireland's signed languages are probably not the
same as the signed languages used in Ireland, but are they BSL? What
languages to you speak in Northern Ireland? smile...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages