[sw-l] LESSONS in Transcribing a Poem from Video

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 16 19:29:02 UTC 2004

Here are my bits and pieces of receptive sign for the 8 signs you showed.

Since I'm working with the SignBank program, I had a little difficulty with free floating forearms, so I had to compromise.

 forgive the lower left hand, I couldn't edit it out once I was finished.
Note the two fingers straight hand is turned up slightly and is back toward us, the readers, as is the lower index with an O hand.

Since I couldn't find an arm by itself, i attached it to a forearm.
Note the "A" hand is facing toward the readers.

I had to stack the R on top of the "contact elbow" so that it was still clear.

The "R" hand is palm facing the readers.

I still am not happy with this "contact elbow" because the hand is obscured.  The B hand is facing the reader, the eyebrows have been squinched up.

I decided to forgo the elbow contact in context of the other signs.

Note that the pointer left hand is still in contact, but the eyebrows are now furrowed.

The "Y" hand is palm facing the readers, the left hand is neutral, face down.

The second "that" hand comes down and toward the reader.  The neutral left hand turns slightly toward the reader.

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
November 16, 2004

LESSONS IN TRANSCRIBING A POEM FROM VIDEO
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/transcribe/poetry/oneharbor

LESSON ONE continued...
Stefan's complete transcription of the first 8 photos: