[sw-l] am I correct in understanding the IMWA

Wed Nov 24 19:40:09 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 24, 2004

Ingvild Roald wrote:
> I've been trying to see if I understands the rules of the system
> correctly. The handshape symbols themselves I get. Then, for each
> handshape there is a 'grid' with orientations/ shadings/ variations.

Hello Ingvild and Everyone!
Thanks for this question. I will answer in several messages. Please
look at the attached diagram. For the HANDSHAPE category of
symbols....These are the 96 rotations and palm facings. In EXPRESSIVE,
Rotations 1-8 are the right hand, and Rotations 9-16 are the left hand.
Rotations 1-8 are counter clockwise and Rotations 9-16 are clockwise: