[sw-l] LESSONS in Transcribing a Poem from Video

Fri Nov 19 17:16:33 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 19, 2004

 >Nancy Emery wrote:
....I'm still not sure how much detail to include in the translation
(like how
much to say about how the facial expressions work, role shift, etc.).

  My adviser thinks linguistics papers on signed languages need to have
transcriptions (not just glosses) and I thought SignWriting was the best
system for that because it looks the most like real signing, and so
much of
how signed languages work is about embodying meaning visually.

Nancy - I think your advisor is right! There is no other writing system
with the amount of facial expression choices we have...Of course, then
the question is which ones to choose when writing, and those
standardizations, when transcribing video, have not been developed
yet...so you are pioneering new territory...and I would think slowly
our little video transcription project should benefit your
work...Thanks for sharing! And best of luck with your project. If you
need someone to review it, we can try later, although we would have to
see the video to be able to do it.... Val ;-)