[sw-l] New Handshapes for the IMWA

Sun Nov 21 16:06:09 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 21, 2004

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> thanks for your attached new handshapes - along with the photos it is
> just curious  - have you finished the "construction" of all six basic
> orientations for these three handshapes already. I would like to see
> your
> spelling of palm facing the signer and back of hand facing the signer.

Hello Stefan, Sandy and Mo-
You are right that I was not writing a spelling, but instead working on
the symbol development itself. I still owe Mo a handshape, and then
there were a couple from Signuno, and once we establish what new
handshapes I need to add to the IMWA, then I will add all 96 palm
facings for each handshape...So this is IMWA work, which is not the
same as applying the real writing of those positions...called
SignSpelling...

Regarding the palm facings, the third one follows the same rules as
other handshapes that have a square base. It is already in the IMWA.
Here are the 96 rotations and flops for that handshape: