[sw-l] Limitations on size of attachments....

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Tue Oct 5 16:43:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

> > Sandy Fleming wrote:
> > > After your suggestion of an approximately 30K limitation, I sent a
> > > 29Kb gif this morning which didn't work.
> >
> > Yes. I saw that bounced message but then you reposted and it worked,
> > right?...
>
> Yes, but I reduced the size of the gif before reposting, that must be why it
> worked.

I don't remember exactly how majordomo (the list software in use at
valenciacc.edu) calculates a file size limit but a 29Kb GIF will be larger
than 29Kb when transmitted. Looking back through my archives Sandy's
message this morning did have 29Kb GIF attached but the transmitted size
was closer to 45Kb. GIF, JPEG, etc are "messed with" so that they can
passed through any mail system; that messing makes them larger. When you
receive the message your email program extracts the file and converts it
back to its original format and size.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!