[sw-l] SignPuddle

Thu Oct 7 15:36:42 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 7, 2004

Sandy -
I went to Great Britain's Sign Puddle, only to find there were no signs
named Wales, so you are right that something happened and I don't know
what...At least now you can re-do Wales in SignMaker without any
conflicts with old names ...

And I would suggest that you delete the old version of a sign, before
re-doing it in SignMaker...that way you will have no name
conflicts...Essentially, deleting all the signs and starting from
scratch, referring to your old list when needed, would be the cleanest
way to do the re-entering...

You asked if SignMaker was mature and you will not have to re-do
anything again...The answer is YES. If you re-do all your signs, which
were pasted in as graphics before, with the new SignMaker, your new
signs will be more like a real language...The new signs will hold
information about each symbol...This means that in the future, that
information can be used to sort your signs by SSS...so this transition,
although annoying, is worth it...

Plus, when you re-create the signs, the SignMaker program also creates
a graphic too, so it means that we will be able to export the signs you
create in either format for other programs...such as Microsoft Word
etc...

At least you do not have too many signs to re-do...The ASL dictionary
is overwhelming because it has over 3000 signs that have to be
replaced....I have replaced around 25 ASL signs....but there is a long
way to go!

Anyway...Please try to enter Wales again and tell us if it works -

Val ;-)