[sw-l] BELGIUM: New SW Literacy Project and new web area...

Kathleen Heylen kathjeleen at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 13 18:07:26 UTC 2004

Hello nice people ;o)

What can I tell you about Belgium? Better ask me what I can't tell you about Belgium because it is such a fascinating country ;o) We ARE the capitol of Europe ;o) And we have some beautiful city's to visit. Like; Antwerp, Brussels, Brugge, Gent, Liège, Namur, ...
It is so that we officialy have 3 languages: Flemish, French and German. Flemish is the upperside close to Holland where people understand us pretty good because they speak Dutch. Brussels is situated in Flanders, but used to be and still mainly is French (Wallon) speaking. The lower side of Belgium is near to France and this is where the people live that we call 'Wallon'. This used to be the 'rich' part of Belgium in the early 19th century, but that changed about 70 years ago. Now Flanders is the economic drive of Belgium. Some people in Flanders want to be seperated from the Wallon part. I myself dont see me going on a trip and telling people i'm from the independant 'state of Flanders'. Who ever heared of Belgium, so WHO will know what Flanders is? :s
And then there is a VERY small part of German speaking people in Belgium, but they are such a smal part that they are fogotten about frequently. (shame on us!)

So far the general situation of Belgium. Now for our other languages that do exist in Belgium but are not recognized are the signed languages. There is a Flemish Signlanguage in Belgium wich consist also of many dialects as you can see on the website of the University of Ghent. ( http://gebaren.ugent.be/ )
There is also a 'French' Sign Language or better said 'Langue des Signes Wallon'. I'm sorry i dont have any information on the existence of 'Germang Sign Language' in Belgium. (Deutche Gebarensprache)
I know the signlanguage in Wallonië is recognized to use in the schools, but not as an official language. There are actions at hand to promote the recognition of Flemish signlanguage. (www.doofactiefront.be) this site is availible in English as well ;o)

Now for my school. Being it is situated in Brussels you will think, Jeezus all those languages?? No, it is true at my school there are Flemish speaking and signing people aswell as Wallon speaking and signing people. This used to be all mixed up, but a few years ago the two groups where seperated. So now the children learn 2 languages: Flemish SignLanguage (FSL) and Dutch (Flemish) written and/or spoken. This is how we see Bi-lingual education. The children are brought up in there mothertongue Flemish signlanguage and learn to read and write (speak) Dutch. I myself teach FSL (VGT - Vlaamse Gebarentaal) and d/Deafculture together with Sara (my sweet friend and Deaf coöperator).
We teach the children the grammar and sytaxis of VGT and do this by using SignWriting. What is our population? Well all the children run trough our classroom, no matter there hearingloss. Some student have more ours VGT a week then others.

I would love to get some information on other people using SignWriting in Belgium, the people i know dont really use it or are not working as educators. My french is not as good as I would want it to be. So i get more information in English and Flemish then French. It's more difficult for me to read a book in French then in English. But i will do my best to work with my Belgian partners ;o)

More news WILL follow ;o)
Greetings Kathleen
ps: hope i don't make to many mistakes (my spelling isn't that great)
pps: i have a disk that has a DOS program for SignWriting (Kristof De Weerdt gave it to me ;o)