[sw-l] Frustrations of SignWriter DOS users...

Thu Oct 14 15:58:02 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 14, 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 8:36 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> I heartily agree with your comment here, Valerie.
> We are fortunate that all of the programmers are working with open
> source programs,  because of Bill Gates were to get a hold of SW, it
> would suddenly become proprietary, and all development of interactive
> software would stop.

Hello Everyone, Stefan, Charles!
Smile...I doubt if Bill Gates would want proprietary rights to
SignWriting software, since there is no money in it!

And actually my point was more referring to the sadness that Stefan
feels...and I admit I do too, a little...the fact that even though
programmers tried so hard to develop a new SignWriter...such as the
SignWriter Java program...it never got finished...and now Daniel is
working hard on SignWriter Tiger, and it is a valiant and wonderful
effort...and we are grateful for it...but a decade later, since 1996,
DOS development stopped, we still do not have all the features of
SignWriter DOS in a modern program that works in Windows XP...

so that is the frustration...and it is no one's fault....just the way
it is...

Computers are changing very fast, which requires new software
development all the time...

Val ;-)